Authentic Wheat Flour Jaggery Modak. I make fried modak at home from whole wheat flour with dry coconut or fresh coconut stuffing with jaggery (gud/gul). For covering of this modak I used whole wheat flour with Semolina(rava/suji) and no maida in it. This are the traditional Modak prepared in Marathi.
For outer covering: Wheat flour knead to dough. Pls link to my other recipes too. I have only substituted whole wheat flour instead of all purpose flour. You can have Authentic Wheat Flour Jaggery Modak using 11 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Authentic Wheat Flour Jaggery Modak
- You need 2 cup of wheat flour.
- It’s 2 tbsp of semolina.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of ghee.
- Prepare To taste of jaggery.
- It’s As needed of Ghee.
- It’s 1 tsp of Kaju/ cashew.
- It’s 1 tsp of Raisins.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of elaichi (Cardamom)powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of chopped pistachios.
- You need 1 of khaskhas/ poppy seeds.
- Prepare As needed of milk.
If you use fresh coconut, then do not. Fried modak is made with wheat flour outer covering and coconut, jaggery filling. Deep fried in ghee or oil, it can keep good for few days too. My mom told me this recipe when she was here.
Authentic Wheat Flour Jaggery Modak step by step
- In a bowl take wheat flour, sauji. Now add ghee in the flour, combine all the ingredients and make a dough..
- Take a mixture in hand and press to make oblong wheat balls (muthia) press harder so that the muthia remain in tact while frying. Now deep fry the muthia in ghee 4-5 minutes till turns golden brown..
- This way frying them in a low flame that they are cooked properly till inside. Cut the fried muthia grinder container to get a fine powder. Add roasted dry fruits and elaichi powder. Heat some ghee in apan once ghee starts melting add jaggery..
- Melt the jaggery in the ghee and once the jaggery starts floating on ghee turn off the gas now pour this jaggery into churma.Now combine all the ingredients and make nice aromat churma mixture. Make modak. Modak is ready..
- Using apply a khas khas to churma modak.Ganeshji most favorite churma modak is ready Enjoy.
Modak are Maharashtrian festive dumplings made of rice flour dough & a sweet coconut jaggery filling. Traditionally these sweet dumplings are handmade, filled and then. Fried modak is nothing but deep fried dumplings(Kozhukattai) filled with jaggery and coconut stuffing. In North India especially in Maharashtra, people make Ukdiche modak(steamed modak) and this deep fried modak during Ganesh Chaturthi festival. They call it as "Talniche Modak" in Hindi.