Coconut and Jaggery wheat Modak. Combine all the ingredients and mix well. how to proceed. Take the dough and make lemon size balls from it. Roll them , put the filling and then give modak shape.
Add salt to whole wheat flour and knead to a stiff dough. Heat the jaggery and make a one – thread syrup and remove from heat. Add fresh grated coconut and cardamom powder and cool. You can have Coconut and Jaggery wheat Modak using 7 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Coconut and Jaggery wheat Modak
- You need 60 grams of Wheat flour.
- You need 60 grams of rice flour.
- You need 1 cup of shredded coconut.
- It’s 1/2 cup of shredded jaggery.
- You need 2 tbsp of ghee.
- It’s 1 cup of water.
- Prepare 1 tsp of cardamom powder.
A modak (Marathi: मोदक, Modaka) is a sweet dumpling popular in Western and Southern India. The sweet filling inside a modak is made up of fresh grated coconut and jaggery, while the soft shell is made from rice flour, or wheat flour mixed with khava or maida flour. The dumpling can be fried or steamed. The steamed version, called ukdiche modak, is eaten hot with ghee.
Coconut and Jaggery wheat Modak instructions
- To make the filling, first pour 1 tbsp of ghee onto a pan and add the coconut. Sauté the desiccated coconut for about a minute..
- Next, add the shredded jaggery to the coconut and sauté for another minute until the jaggery melts and combines well with the shredded coconut.
- Add the cardamom powder and sauté for another minute (The mixture need to be moist and not dry so do not sauté it for a long time). The filling is ready, keep it aside..
- Next, in another pan, bring 1 cup of water to boil.
- Add 1 tbsp ghee and a little bit of salt (if needed).
- Add the wheat flour and the rice flour once the water boils and started bringing it all together with a spatula. It will form a thick dough..
- On medium flame, keep pressing the dough and softening it. If it’s too thick, you can add a little bit of water but not too much as the dough needs to be kneaded later.
- Cover the pan with a lid and leave it for a couple of minutes. Switch off the flame after, and let the dough cool down..
- Once cooled, bring the dough together and knead it until it into a soft round ball..
- Make 10 round balls out of the kneaded dough. Flatten each ball into a circle shape using your fingers. Put the filling inside each flattened dough and try to bring it into the shape as shown in the picture. You can take the help of a fork to get the scoring done on the surface in order to get that design.
Modak (Marathi: मोदक ) (Japanese: 歓喜団) is an Indian sweet popular in states of Maharashtra, Goa and in the regions of Konkan in India. It is One of the Favourite and Religious Dish of Lord Ganesha which is Also used in Prayers. The sweet filling on the inside of a modak consists of freshly grated coconut and jaggery while the outer soft shell is made from rice flour or wheat flour. Traditional Steamed Coconut and Jaggery Modak Recipe are made from rice flour stuffed with grated coconut and jaggery mixture. Ganesh Chaturthi celebrations can never be complete without modak.